Thursday, July 21, 2016

A New Model Search for a New Idea

I've had this idea in my head for the last 18 months or so. I've kept it to myself because quite frankly I just haven't had the time to cast a model or number of models for the series and sit down and map out an editorial story for it. I still haven't quite nailed down the model for the series yet but I figured I'd get something just to hold me until I do find my model. In comes Kim.

Now if you've read how I carry on about her you would know that she's often described by me as sexy-quirky and she hasn't changed a bit. I had zero plans for her to do any of these looks. Not because she isn't perfect. On the contrary, as you can see she is more than capable. It was to be something of a mashup of beauty mixed with glamour with very dramatic lighting effects. Kim is a perfect blend of extraordinary beauty and glamour. My decision to not use her stems from a need for a new face, variety and simply just the want of something fresh. Forgotten was the fact that here is a stunning capable woman willing and able to do anything I wanted done within reason. Kim would do it not just because I asked but she would also do it to show me that when pushed she could do it. You can't but love those kinds of models.
All Rights Reserved
©heliosimaging
Model: Kim Jonet

I still shared the idea with her if for nothing else but bouncing it off someone else. I didn't have a sample pic or anything to show her but I guess after working with me more times than I remember she intuited where I might be headed with it. After a few minutes she pulls up this article of clothing; the one in this pic. I thought I'd died and went to heaven. My first question is always the same. "Have you ever been photographed in this before?" That's kind of a pet peeve of mine in case you didn't know. She said "no. It has been sitting in my closet collecting dust for nearly two years. I just didn't know how to use it or what to use it for. I knew I should have shown it to you before but I kept forgetting it was there. Do you want it?" Is she serious I thought? As if my slack jaw didn't give it away she waited with a sneaky smile for a reply. I think I died and went to heaven again. That's twice in the span of two minutes I think. She was saying all the right things as usual of her.

It was perfect. One of the first things a fashion photographer learns to do is envision how something will look on a particular frame of model. How it fits, how it will hang and hug all flashed through my head within a millisecond. That will dictate the angles and the light setup for maximum effect. I knew Kim would be the one to wear this glorious thing for me. It was just too perfect for her body and if pushed just hard enough, Kim can be immensely expressive and emotive which is what this situation called for.

While she will not likely be my final model for this series, she kicked it off nicely. Her successor has some work to do to follow her. That's for sure. Maybe a dozen or so pics later we're jumping up and down hugging as to how epic it looks. She was happy she got to use the garment and I'm just happy that she's happy. I finally kicked off this series the right way with the right model. 

It ended up being just a test shoot for this a larger idea and it was wildly successful. I've named the series and planned it out but now comes the even harder part. Who will be her successor? I'm starting the hunt right now. 

2 comments:

  1. Great backstory on a stunning image! It's hard to imagine any model worthy of following Kim, but with your guidance and technical skill, I have no doubt your work with her successor in this series will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I totally agree about Kim. There is really no way to replace her and I wouldn't really try. She is one of a kind. However, she isn't always available for my more daring ideas and I'd be excluding several more as deserving people looking to shoot with us before we downsize again. Kim is remarkable and I'll always have a spot for her. But as they say, variety is the spice of life :)

      Trust me when I say there is much more of Kim to be had and certainly many more images of her yet to be released so you'll definitely want to stay tuned.

      Thank you again for your comments.

      Delete