Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Recipe for the Perfect Photoshoot

It is a common practice of ours to meet models we wish to publish face to face before undertaking any serious project. Generally it's non-negotiable. Given the extreme time, effort and expense, we feel that not only is it an opportunity to get to know the model but it's also a wonderful chance to go over looks and set expectations on how the project will unfold.

The establishment of trust is a key component to working with someone new. It's something that needs to happen as fast as possible and when it's reasonable to do so I'd rather have that out of the way before shoot day. When it's shoot day we need all the extra time we can get for potential wardrobe issues and spending more time with makeup, hair styling and on actual production. I'd rather not spend all that time trying to get to know everyone for the first time.

A confident model is a fantastic model and it can often take a bit of time to warm up to a photographer's shooting pace, style and his or her general way of communicating what they want to see. One of the most beneficial things I've done when meeting face to face is to actually give the model prospect visual and auditory cues as to our process. When I say this I mean this (showing a pic) or when I say "own it" or be more expressive I mean this (pointing at an image from the storyboard). I emphasize that I don't want to copy the looks. I want them to absorb the mood of it, the idea, the feeling and make it their own. It can often start with a storyboard if it's an editorial and at least sample picture(s) I've put together even if it may not be an editorial. 

All Rights Reserved
©heliosimaging
Kim Jonet 
You see, I shoot mood, feeling and atmosphere rather than just taking a picture so the vibe of the shot is really what I'm after. Providing the model understands the idea, it gives her a great deal of latitude and how to take it beyond just a picture but into something more profound bearing her unique visual and expressive signature. I'll show the model sample images from wherever I can find them that I think best illustrates my perspective and our objectives for the shoot. I categorize them by look if the shoot entails more than one change. If it's a single editorial then I will give her the background story and show an image or two we think best conveys that feeling. It's up to her to take it the rest of the way. These things can't really be talked about via email and text unless I've worked with her before but even so I prefer to meet if it's more than a common photo shoot. It makes meeting face to face ever more important and I consider meeting first a courtesy shared by each of us. Sure it can be a little inconvenient but it shows how much you respect he process, how engaged you are and how important it is to you to get it right. Often times it eventually leads to that model becoming a cover model maybe not always right then but sometimes in the near future because statistically those that meet first outperform those that do not. Why? The model and the other project participants are more engaged, they're more confident, they're more vested in the outcome. They've also proven they care about the results more than some common passerby and as such they give more of themselves to the process. That's worth more to us than ten passerbys because the results are always extraordinary. 

When she arrives the model is thinking sure I may be a little nervous but I already know this guy. I know what to expect. I am comfortable with everything we've discussed. I may even try some new things I've always wanted to because he's given me a license to be myself and take ownership of the idea. I'm exactly what they need for this editorial. I got the final call to do this when no one else did. I'm not a backup. They've already seen me in person. I've been measured and fitted and the clothes will be perfect. I'm their first choice and I will now show them why I'm even better than they already know I am. 

A confident model. A photographer confident in his or her abilities and a competent team is a flawless recipe for success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment