Monday, July 9, 2012

"Road Trip" by heliosimaging

"Road Trip"
Registered © 2012 heliosimaging
All Rights Reserved

This image is part of an editorial series by Helios inspired by a commercial ad by Armani X I discovered a few months ago. Surprisingly, I believe the ad to be several months if not a year older. To say that I was wowed would be an understatement when I saw the ad trailer. 
I will be featuring the full editorial on the site at www.heliosimaging.com as soon as time allows. It was major inspiration but as with all things I generally do, I took my own creative route as the shoot unfolded. 
Born out of desperation spawned from a last minute shoot cancellation I decided to move forward with the shoot anyway. With that many resources, time and expenses at play I simply couldn’t abandon the entire exercise albeit still inconvenient in the worst way. We cut the shoot time in half, changed the general flow of the theme, and tweaked the angles to produce something we thought was even more compelling. It ended up being a much shorter shoot than originally planned but with that unexpected wrinkle what could you expect. 
It was a huge success by any measure. I can’t say what the motivations were beyond what I was told for the cancellation but I can say that the original model seriously missed out. The shoot was a real back bender in the real sense of the word so the stand-in model who claimed to be of advanced age and retired from such modeling stunts clearly came out ahead and may have been the better choice all along. Professionalism, communication, common courtesy and a willingness to go above and beyond is what makes all this stuff worthwhile. I love working with dependable people. 
Beyond that I was a bit sore myself from the climbing, bending, leaning and twisting  and more so without the help of my assistant. That being said, it was my assistant that became my stand-in and boy was I wrong to pass her up. I should have insisted on her shooting the series when I first mapped out the idea. I was lucky she agreed with only two hours to prepare before the shoot. But hey, I’m a sucker for newbies and really wanted to give an upstart a shot. Maybe someday when I get past the huge disappointment this time, and with TFs in general that I understandably seldom do, a time will come again.
In any event, look out for it. At least a half dozen more images are being refined right now. I will keep you posted as to when it will be featured on the primary site at www.heliosimaging.com

No comments:

Post a Comment