Friday, July 13, 2012

On Location Photography - Outdoors

garden by helios00
garden, a photo by helios00 on Flickr.
With this weather, any chance to get outdoors and do those back log of outdoor fashion portrait photos I'm taking it.

On-location photography is as exhausting as it rewarding. Although I normally prefer the ultimate control a studio environment gives, nothing beats natural backdrops and picturesque settings as given by the outdoors. You simply can't buy (or afford to buy) every single color backdrop that you would find in nature.

But it's not without its challenges. Nature is what nature does; it's often unpredictable. It gets cold, hot, rainy, humid, too bright and too dark. Then there are bugs, and ants and sweat (I hate sweating). But if that's not the worst of it it's the lugging your equipment around for what are literally miles on foot. You have to pack it all up and hope you don't forget anything when you leave. Then double and triple check to make sure you didn't leave anything behind.

This is what has compelled me to alter my photography shooting style as well as what equipment I now utilize. Shoot more, pack lighter and buy better. In short, buy less equipment, buy lighter equipment for mobility but buy better equipment. You need stuff that can hold up to being banged around a bit. But when the sun is just right, you also don't want to be caught still struggling trying to setup huge pieces of equipment when your moment comes and passes you by.

But now that I'm starting to get a handle on what I need and what I don't need, I'm finding that outdoor on-location shoots are all worth it. Images take on a depth and a more dynamic characteristic you simply can't get indoors.

All things being equal, you are limitless in what you can do provided that you have the right location, the know how and of course a perfect subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment