Monday, May 15, 2017

All Time Favorite Model Finally Revealed

I said I would never do this. I said it was disrespectful. I carried on about how it’s a slap in the face to everyone I know and everyone I’ve worked with. But after days, months and years of thinking about it. I decided to unveil who my favorite model is/was. 

First of all why the change of heart? Well people deserve to know because I think she is a source of great inspiration and a magnificent example of poise, grace, beauty and endless professionalism. Additionally, I spoke with one of the most well-known photographers in the world and he chatted publicly about his fondness for one particular model and even raved how she is his absolute favorite. I thought “Wow!” He just shocked me and went against everything I’d ever said and I admire this guy’s work like crazy. 

I realized, that much of my apprehension in admitting such a thing was because people have a way of disappointing you when you throw all your weight behind them. The second you build them up is the moment they tear you down and crush your every expectation. But I don’t own her. She has no obligation to live up to any idealized view I have about her beauty and her infinite talent. She is her own person and I have to accept that and take the gift she bestowed upon me; that is the gift to collaborate with her and create some of the best images I’ve ever done. Perhaps it was her personality, her confidence or her willingness to simply put her trust in me to basically try everything I threw at her. That’s a special and unique thing; not to question, not to get overly disturbed about the unknown but to have an open mind and a willing disposition. 

Not to put too fine a point on it but I went back and re-read her interview from SIRCUS™ magazine Issue 10 at www.sircusmagazine.com. Her interview reaffirmed my conclusion that she is the best model I’ve ever photographed. That interview reminded me of why I was drawn to her in the first place. If that wasn’t enough praise, I can easily say that only my wife has impressed me more as a model and that is no small feat. I read and then re-read something in that interview that shook me. In paraphrasing she said, “I decided to be beautiful.” You have to read that interview to get the full context. It’s one thing to say such a thing. But it’s quite another to live it. It was clear it wasn’t just idle talk but a philosophy of life. That sat with me. That sentiment grew n me and changed me as an artist. She raised the bar to a height few will ever achieve. That is not to say some will not. I’m scaling back but I have a few more shoots left in me yet. I just believe that Lauren Moon is the best model (to date) I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. With the combination of beauty, talent, personality, confidence, adaptability and talent, she is/was my absolute favorite model. 

It’s not all about beauty, talent or just ability. It’s all of those things and yet none of them. She’s a special blend of perfect attributes that simply makes everything or everyone else seem a little dimmer in comparison. There were unexpected last minute personnel changes on our shoot with her and yet Lauren never wavered. Without showing the slightest bit of hesitation or doubt she forged on. Creatively malleable without end, she didn’t frown with challenges, she accommodated change and even welcomed the unknown. She did it all with a regal disposition and fearlessness I’ve rarely seen in a single person. 

I thought of all the best traits of every model I know beyond my present company and thought what a model might be when it’s all put together. In less than a second, I thought of Lauren Moon. Thank you for a great experience Lauren. May you continue to enlighten us all with your grace, your gift and your beauty.


Also a special thank you to model Chanel Alexis and The One that is everything, Trexie Dorrell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment