Tuesday, September 23, 2014

10 Years - 10 Best Helios Images - (#3) Countdown

All Rights Reserved
©heliosimaging
Model: Karleena Gore
It was only the second time in all my years of photography and design that I had chosen a car interior as my shooting space. This photo session was part of a larger editorial series that had to be cut short due to some extraordinary circumstances. 

Yet in concert with a beautiful and talented model, the light, the pose and the unusual dynamics afforded by the shooting space, this image easily made to the #3 spot as best of the best 10 images we’ve done in the last decade. 

Her car radiator literally exploded in the parking lot. I was so happy that she made it all the way to my driveway. Heaven forbid that she would be stranded alongside the freeway. Despite everything she literally made it to my doorstep. She was understandably distracted and completely rattled, terrified and nervous about what to do next. After hours of phone calls, tow trucks and mechanics we still decided to do something while we waited on the mechanics assessment of the damage. Despite not coming back to finish what we started, I will forever be appreciate that she could look and be so composed after such an event. 

Like many shoots, I had my own problems to deal with that the models and other people onset are seldom aware of. I had rented equipment, lenses, props as well as a second camera for the second phase of three phases of the shoot that we never saw. I was out of hundreds of dollars myself so you might say this is a $700 shot by itself. Given how it turned out it looks like much much more than that in all it’s glorious sexy elegance. I can only imagine what we might have accomplished given the full shoot. 

In the end, I got her home safe and sound while the mechanics continued to do what they needed to do to her car. It was one of the most memorable photo shoots I’ve had to say the least. It would be great to have her back to finish what we started but I am certain the experience struck fear into her and this side of Washington may have yet to see her again. 


Thank you for a wonderful time despite the challenges Karleena. You’re a real trooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment