Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Emote: The Secret to the Best Photographs


You know the photos where the subject looks exactly the same in every single shot; every frame has an identical expression no matter the context? Maybe even you yourself may be on the short end of the lens in situations such as these. The most interesting photographs in portraiture or fashion are those where the subject is able to project emotions. 

What does it mean to emote? Simply put, it means being expressive and relating one’s feelings. If you’re the subject of a photograph or film, you do project emotions through facial expressiveness, eyes and body language all in concert to give the audience a sense of what you’re feeling. While a model or actor may say one thing, their bodies may project or emote something completely different. That is why psychologist and other behavioral scientists dedicate entire branches of study to body language. It is far more telling than anything, including verbal communication.

If you’re looking thru magazines and books you’ve noticed that some people recur in print far more than others.  Are they more photogenic? Are they simply more beautiful or is there some secret they are not telling everyone else? The truth is, they are probably more skilled and practiced at emoting than the average person. That allows them to project any persona or feeling, often times without saying a word. They do it largely from the eyes and then the rest of the body follows.

Occasionally, a client or model very interested in improving and expanding their “looks” ask me for tips. They often complain that they look almost bored in all of their past photographs and have a difficult time conveying a mood, persona or feeling. Often times they simply want to take a better picture. Some people simply feel they are not photogenic. 

Now if you’re a client or model and you’ve worked with me, you know what you’re in for. You’re in for several hours of silliness, trash talk, and some fun conversation. Why? Because that’s my job. I want you to be you. I want you comfortable and at your most relaxed state. I want you to be malleable and open. Above all else, I want you to be silly with me and to trust me. I also want you to be serious when I’m being serious and so on. It’s so much easier for me to give you something to laugh about than for me to ask you to smile. It’s far more genuine and unforced for me to say something serious than to tell you to give me your serious face. Although, I have been accused of asking to “show me your bed-roomy eyes” in order to purposely gain a genuine laugh I can capture. 

All Rights Reserved
Model: Kim Jonet
When I asked the model featured here for her bed-roomy eyes, she erupted into a hysterical laugh. But immediately, and without pretense I looked serious and said “No, I’m serious.” She immediately stopped laughing and looked at me surprised and said “Really?” with wide eyes. I took the picture. That’s what I wanted; a genuinely surprised, unplanned look which turned out even better than anything I could have hoped for. You can’t fake a look like this no matter how hard you try.

It’s not all on the subject either. Peter Hurley is among the the best head-shot photographers in the business. But it’s not for reasons you might think. It’s not because of his technical skill, his lighting, or equipment. It’s for his ability to get into people’s head and pull out whatever emotion he thinks would make the shot. If you’ve seen him in action he comes across with a bit too much swagger bordering on arrogance. He talks a great deal of trash and seems somewhat dismissive but in a comical way. Yet, the way he interacts with people and what he can get them to express is undeniable and perfect. It’s camaraderie and a synergy that he gets from every client. That’s what makes the shot; not the lights or equipment, but a genuine emotion he captures at just the right moment.

On the other side, Coca Rocha is an extremely well known fashion model. She’s been featured in more magazines and shows than I can name. What I find so remarkable about her is her ability to project sadness, pain, glee, silliness, anger, happiness, reflective, sensual, etc. pretty much any emotion imaginable just in her face. She’s somewhat melodramatic but believable and daring. You believe what she projects is genuine and we buy into the idea and the look. One of my favorite photo shoots of her is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hilU4X9Gk. She jumps in uninhibited, daring, wild but with purpose and completely unafraid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfl5ZCUgQYM to watch her is an experience all it’s own. I think my camera would explode trying to keep up. Think she’s worried about looking bad? I think not. She’s thinking about getting paid by getting the perfect shot.

It’s a team effort to emote. As the photographer and pretty much the director, I have to provide the context and the motivation. The client/model need only trust and relax, knowing that all will be beyond anything he or she could have hoped for. It really comes down to genuine feelings and letting your guard down. 

I suggest that you go out there and be silly, be serious, be sexy, be contemplative and spontaneous. But above all else, be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment