Thursday, October 6, 2011

Photographic Visual Inspiration and set design

It is no doubt where I receive much of my visual inspiration for photographic ideas; movies. I like many people enjoy a good flick. But photographically speaking, what inspires me are movies of the fantastical variety. Movie like "The Fall" "What Dreams May Come" and despite the horrible performances and ill-executed storyline "the Cell." These movies among many more are visual masterpieces.

The creative minds governing and conceiving the sets of these movies are truly gifted individuals. They've taken fantasy and escapism to new heights and literally drag you into the scene as audiences gasp at the sheer scale of it all.

This scene from "The Cell" while not shown in very hi-res is one of my latest challenges for a set. The most expensive hiccup are the trees. Fake or Real they almost always blow my budget and as such creates a serious no-go for the entire idea. The snow, the lighting, the background; none of that creates any serious setbacks. But those trees are a real financial pain.

I have several projects in waiting because I cannot resolve the tree issue. Until then, I continue to collect my inspirational pieces until the day comes when I am not so restricted by my budget or the client's budget.

2 comments:

  1. There are sometimes ways to work around a budget. It also helps if one does not go about the extreme. The trees are marvelous by the way! I would love to see you incorporate such into thematic fashion fantastic fotographie! :)

    I agree also that The Cell was horrid. However, it was visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cyndi. I'm certainly working on it. I have a pre-spring formal gown shoot in the works. Consequently, I have a little time to work it out.

    Wil

    ReplyDelete